SRPC Employment Opportunities
Position: Data AnalystDescription
Strafford Regional Planning Commission seeks a full-time Data Analyst to support transportation planning activities and research. This is a 12-month term position funded through a federal assistance award with the possibility of an extension. The expected start date is mid-November to early December 2015. This position provides an opportunity to work with a collaborative team focused on using technology and data to inform regional and statewide decision-makers. The successful candidate will provide technical expertise to staff and collaborators through services such as performance measure assessment and calculation, data analysis, protocol development, report writing, and map creation.
Required Education & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree
• Minimum one year’s professional experience
Candidates with experience and certification in rigorous, data-driven fields including transportation management, geography, planning, GIS, environmental science or other closely related fields are encouraged to apply.
This position will be heavily involved with regional and statewide efforts to evaluate, select, and calculate performance measures for an ongoing performance based planning program. The individual filling this position will be primarily focused on data retrieval and calculation efforts with an emphasis on methods development, but will also be expected to collaborate and work closely with stakeholders and staff from other planning agencies across the state, including Regional Planning Commissions, Metropolitan Planning Organizations, the New Hampshire Department of Transportation, and the Federal Highway Administration, among others. Detailed responsibilities will include:
• Evaluating and selecting performance measures for implementation at both regional and statewide scales
• Obtaining relevant data from collaborating agencies and data storehouses
• Calculating performance measures using available data and GIS software
• Developing, implementing, coordinating and maintaining protocols to inform and streamline data analysis procedures
• Conducting statistical analyses
• Summarizing and extrapolating from available data
• Developing targets for individual performance measures
• Writing reports summarizing agency progress towards performance targets
• Researching and obtaining newly-released datasets
• Maintaining databases necessary for consistent performance-based planning efforts
• Developing new datasets using spatial and statistical methods
• Establishing and maintaining relationships with officials and staff in partner agencies, organizations, and municipalities
• Developing and managing quality control procedures
• Other tasks as assigned
• Comfort and familiarity with large and varied datasets from multiple agencies
• Experience with statistical analyses
• Working knowledge of the principles and practices of geographic information systems and map creation / cartography
• Working knowledge of principles of database design, standards and manipulation
• Working knowledge of office software applications
• Ability to meet variable deadlines and handle reprioritized tasks on occasionally short notice
• Experience using ESRI GIS software in a Windows environment
• Strategic and analytical problem solving abilities
• Experience communicating with highly varied audiences both in person and via reports, phone conferences, email, etc.
• Team orientation and personal accountability
• Experience with regional/municipal/urban planning, particularly transportation planning
• Advanced knowledge of geographic information systems
• Advanced knowledge of database creation and maintenance
• Experience with qualitative data analysis helpful
A valid driver’s license is required and reliable transportation is strongly preferred; the successful candidate must be able to travel to offsite meetings on varied schedules. This position involves travel for daytime and evening meetings and limited fieldwork, and requires the ability to lift at least 30 pounds. Pay is commensurate with experience. For more information about the Commission, see www.strafford.org.
Strafford Regional Planning Commission is an Equal Opportunity/affirmation Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, and nation origin. The Commission encourages minorities, women, and socially and economically disadvantaged business applicants to apply.
Contact: Direct materials, including a cover letter, resume, and three professional references, to Cynthia Copeland, AICP, Executive Director, by mail to the address below or by email to email@example.com using the subject line “Data Analyst Application”. Position is open until filled.
Cynthia Copeland, AICP
Strafford Regional Planning Commission
150 Wakefield Street, Suite 12
Rochester, NH 03867
Closing Date: Position is open until filled.
Email this Page